Before breakfast, I took a few more photos around the house at Cinder Hill.
This is an outbuilding, a garage and garden shed.
The magnolia tree in the garden is in full bloom.
Just next door, this bull was out in his field.
Tony and I set out later in the morning on a walk around Grasmere. The path is mostly flat, with some climbing into the hills at the south end of the lake. The first stop was the church yard where Wordsworth is buried. The third picture shows the property next door and the stone bridge leading to it, shot from the church yard.
The British refer to car GPS devices as "sat navs", for satellite navigation. They are liable to plot a route that uses extremely narrow single-track roads if doing so will save a few feet of distance over using the main roads. This sign warns against blindly following a sat nav into the road that leads partly around the lake, because a large truck or bus would have to back up for over a mile to get out.
These houses are set very far back from the road, behind a pasture rather than a lawn. The lake is just behind me as I took this photo. There's a little blue-and-white rectangle to the left of the smaller house.
On closer inspection, it's a political sign. Why it's set so far back that one would need binoculars to read it from the road is hard to say. The Conservatives did win the most seats in Parliament, but I don't know whether the candidate for the Grasmere area was successful. The election was held the day after we walked around the lake.
The sheep in this field, with a stream that flows to the lake, have a friend watching them: a heron.
A rather baronial-looking home in a spectacular setting.
The lake was almost glassy smooth, with the distant hills reflected on the surface of the water.
A stile, for climbing over the fence.
The best photographs of the day. Grasmere, taken from the southern shore with the fells in the misty background.
A path leading to the car park from the road. It's too narrow for a wheelchair, and filled with rocks to boot!
After the walk we went plant-shopping at a Holehird Gardens, a beautiful garden that's run and maintained entirely by volunteers. I've never seen such intense, saturated red as in the second photo; your web browser probably won't do it justice.
Tony and I visited Sizergh Castle (pronounced 'sizer') next. Very interesting, with parts dating from the 14th century. The same family has always lived there, and one member still does today. We may have seen her driving in as we left. No photos inside, as it's a National Trust museum. I was struck by the fact that almost all the art works on the walls are ancestral portraits. I suppose if you have 700 years of ancestors in the same house, that's about all you have wall space for.
I finished the day taking some more photos in the formal garden at Cinder Hill.
All in all, a very interesting day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

































No comments:
Post a Comment